March 19, 2020
Health Related Information
- COVID-19 Online Self-Assessment– Use this link to assess if you need to be tested.
- Non-medical information about COVID-19 from the BC Centre for Disease Control can be accessed 7:30 am-8:00 pm at 1-888-COVID19.
- For health related enquiries, call 811.
- Global BC COVID-19 Town Hall broadcast from 6:30 pm-7:30 pm on March 19.
- The Vancouver Food Bank, supported by our industry during the REEL Thanksgiving Challenge every year, is looking for volunteers.
Canadian Blood services are seeking donations.
Government Aid Package
Both the Prime Minister and the Minister of Finance held press conferences this morning to outline the first wave of Federal economic relief programming for the Covid-19 outbreak. The government information page can be found here.
Expansion of benefits include:
- Emergency Care Benefit to cover people who are not eligible for EI.
- Increase to individual GST credit.
- Boost to Canada Child Benefit.
- Interest-free six month moratorium on Canada Student Loan payments.
- Canada’s big six banks offer deferred mortgage payments for up to six months on approval. Contact your banking institution for more information.
- Spencer Chandra-Herbert’s Provincial Renters Task Force has been reactivated to make recommendations to Cabinet in the coming days.
Some of these programs are yet to be rolled out and we will monitor and inform as appropriate.
Members who are in need of short term, emergency financial assistance may apply to the AFC. The AFC does not provide income replacement but rather offers financial aid for items like rent, utilities etc. Click here for the AFC – www.afchelps.ca.
Calltime Mental Health –
Another resource for support is the multi-union website at www.calltimementalhealth.com.
Please see resource links below